Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything one learned in school.
Economic Development, Political Economy, Public Choice, International Trade Policy
Econometrics, Macroeconomics, International Trade
Economics of Natural Disasters in Australia and Asia
My scholarly work focuses on the political economy of economic development. I explain the relationship between the choices made by politicians and the level of welfare in a country. In my work, political choices include the trade policy, central governance quality, the level of democracy, the role of the state, and the type of legal system, while welfare is measured by economic growth, education, poverty, and even health. I also analyse how the choices themselves arise due to internal and external factors within a country, such as history, natural and man-made disasters, geography, and other economic fundamentals. In my policy work, I focus on the economic impact of natural disasters in Australia and Asia.
Protection for Sale In A Developing Country: Democracy vs. Dictatorship
D. Mitra and D. Thomakos and M. Ulubasoglu, August 2002, Review of Economics and Statistics, 84(3), pp. 497-508.
Zipf`s Law Strikes Again: The Case of Tourism
M. Ulubasoglu and B. Hazari, Journal of Economic Geography, August 2004, vol. 4, n.4. pp. 459-472.
International Comparisons of Rural-Urban Educational Attainment: Data and Determinants
M. Ulubasoglu and B. Cardak, European Economic Review, October 2007, v. 51, n.7, pp. 1828-1857.
Democracy and Economic Growth: A Meta Analysis,
C. Doucouliagos and M. Ulubasoglu, American Journal of Political Science, January 2008, v. 52, pp. 60-82.
An Empirical Inquiry into the Role of Sectoral Diversification in Exchange Rate Regime Choice
M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya,D.Mallick and M.Ulubasoglu, European Economic Review, April 2014, v. 67, pp. 210-227
Non-farm Activity, Household Expenditure, and Poverty Reduction in Rural Vietnam: 2002-2008
T.X. Hoang, C.S. Pham and M. Ulubasoglu, World Development, December 2014, v. 64, pp. 554-568
The Effects of Farm Subsidies on Farm Exports in the United States
L.A. Tong, C.S. Pham and M. Ulubasoglu, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, July 2019, v. 101, pp. 1277-1304.
The Political Economy of Land Reform Enactments: New Cross-National Evidence (1900-2010)
P. Bhattacharya, D. Mitra and M. Ulubasoglu, Journal of Development Economics, June 2019, v. 139, pp. 50-68.
Policy Papers & Briefs
2009 Toodyay bushfire
- Natural Disasters Increase Inequality (The Conversation)
- Teleworkability in Australia (The Conversation)
- Dark Mofo art rebuilding bushfire-devastated Huon Valley in Tasmania (ABC News), June 2019
- Australia bushfires: too early to estimate losses (International Business Times), Nov 2019
- As a grand-ma-to-be I can no longer stay out of this debate (Sydney Morning Herald), Dec 2019
- Black Saturday: the economic costs (ABC The Money program), Feb 2019
- Counting the costs of Australia’s bushfires (ABC The Money program), Jan 2020
- Black Saturday bushfires: counting the cost (News and Views: Australian Journal of Emergency Management), April 2019
- Calculating the losses of this fire season (Fire Australia)