Principal Supervisor for Nourin Shabnam, Finished 2017. Thesis title: Essays on Early-Life Malnutrition and Adulthood Socioeconomic Outcomes: Bangladesh Evidence
Ana Marija Dabo
Principal Supervisor for Ana Marija Dabo, Submitted. Thesis title: Essays on Land, Legal Systems and Economic Development. First job: Economist, Department of Treasury and Finance, Victoria.
Pablo E. Jimenez-Ayora
Principal Supervisor for Pablo E. Jimenez-Ayora, Finished 2014. Thesis title: Essays on Political and Development Economics. First job: Prometeo Researcher, University of Cuenca, Ecuador.
Rejaul Karim Bakhshi
Principal Supervisor for Rejaul Karim Bakhshi, Finished 2013. Thesis title: Essays on Social Capital and Poverty in Bangladesh. First job: Associate Professor, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh.
Md. Habibur Rahman
Principal Supervisor for Md. Habibur Rahman, Finished 2013. Thesis title: Essays on the Economics of Natural Disasters and Political Institutions. First job: Research Fellow, Department of Economics, Deakin University.
Anshu Mala Chandra
Principal Supervisor for Anshu Mala Chandra, Finished 2013. Thesis title: Foreign Direct Investment and Stages of Sector Diversification. First job: Economist, University of the South Pacific, Fiji.
M.H. Tarequl Chowdhury
Principal Supervisor for M.H. Tarequl Chowdhury, Finished 2012. Thesis title: Exchange Rate Regimes: Some Determinants and Consequences. First job: Research Fellow, Alfred Deakin Research Institute, Deakin University.
Trung X. Hoang
Principal Supervisor for Trung X. Hoang, Finished 2012. Thesis title: Essays on the Dynamics of Poverty in Rural Vietnam. First job: Research Fellow, Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, Vietnam.
Lan Anh Tong
Associate Supervisor for Lan Anh Tong, Finished 2016.
Associate Supervisor for Huong Nguyen, Finished 2017.
External Committee Member for Veysel Avsar, Florida International University, Finished 2011.
Associate Supervisor for Sasi Iamsiraroj, Finished 2009.
PUBLICATIONS WITH PhD STUDENTS
- The Shocking Origins of Political Transitions? Evidence from Earthquakes (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Southern Economic Journal, January 2017, v. 83, pp. 796-823..
- Exchange Rate Regimes and Fiscal Discipline: The Role of Trade Openness (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), International Review of Economics and Finance, September 2016, v.45, pp. 106-128.
- The Role of Rice in Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, January 2016, v. 21, pp. 132-150.
- Social Capital and the Extreme Poor in Bangladesh (with D. Mallick, and R. Bakshi), Journal of Development Studies, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 1603-1618.
- Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: A Real Relationship or Wishful Thinking? (with S. Iamsiraroj), Economic Modelling, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 200-2013.
- Persistence, Capital Account Openness and Financial Sector Performance in Exchange Rate Dynamics (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), Economic Record, September 2015, v. 91, pp. 279-299.
- What Underlies Weak States? The Role of Terrain Ruggedness (with P. Jimenez-Ayora), European Journal of Political Economy, September 2015, v. 39, pp. 167-183.
- Non-farm Activity, Household Expenditure, and Poverty Reduction in Rural Vietnam: 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), World Development, December 2014, v. 64, pp. 554-568.
- An Empirical Inquiry into the Role of Sectoral Diversification in Exchange Rate Regime Choice (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D.Mallick), European Economic Review, April 2014, v. 67, pp. 210-227.