My scholarly work focuses on the political economy of economic development. I explain the relationship between the choices made by politicians and the level of welfare in a country. In my work, political choices include the trade policy, central governance quality, the level of democracy, the role of the state, and the type of legal system, while welfare is measured by economic growth, education, poverty, and even health. I also analyse how the choices themselves arise due to internal and external factors within a country, such as history, natural and man-made disasters, geography, and other economic fundamentals. In my policy work, I focus on the economic impact of natural disasters in Australia and Asia.
REFEREED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
1. The Political Economy of Land Reform Enactments: New Cross-National Evidence (1900-2010) (with P. Bhattacharya and D. Mitra), Journal of Development Economics, June 2019, v. 139, pp. 50-68.
2. The Effects of Farm Subsidies on Farm Exports in the United States (with L.A. Tong and C.S. Pham), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, July 2019, v. 101, pp. 1277-1304.
3. Institutions for Private Sector Development and Pro-Poor Growth: Evidence from Vietnam (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Economics of Transition and Institutional Change, July 2019, v. 27, pp. 699-728.
4. Floods, Bushfires and Sectoral Economic Output in Australia: 1978-2014 (with M.H. Rahman, Y. Onder, Y. Chen, and A. Rajabifard), Economic Record, March 2019, v. 95, pp. 58-80.
5. Social capital as a coping mechanism for seasonal deprivation: The case of the Monga in Bangladesh (with R. Bakshi and D. Mallick), Empirical Economics, July 2019, v. 57, pp. 239-262.
6. The Role of Middle Class in Economic Development: What Do Cross-Country Data Show? (with N. Chun, R. Hasan, and M.H. Rahman), Review of Development Economics, May 2017, v.21, pp. 404-424.
7. Can Extreme Rainfall Trigger Democratic Change? The Role of Flood-Induced Corruption (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Public Choice, March 2017, v. 171, pp. 331-358.
8. The Shocking Origins of Political Transitions? Evidence from Earthquakes (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Southern Economic Journal, January 2017, v.83, pp. 796-823.
9. The Role of Endowments, Technology and Size in International Trade: New Evidence from Product-Level Data (with C.S. Pham), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, October 2016, v.25, pp. 913-937.
10. Exchange Rate Regimes and Fiscal Discipline: The Role of Trade Openness (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), International Review of Economics and Finance, September 2016, v.45, pp. 106-128.
11. Food Demand Elasticities for Australia (with D. Mallick, M. Wadud, P. Hone and H. Haszler), Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, April 2016, v. 60, pp. 177-195.
12. The Role of Middle Class in Democratic Diffusion (with N. Chun, R. Hasan, and M.H. Rahman), International Review of Economics and Finance, March 2016, v.42, pp. 536-548.
13. The Role of Rice in Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, January 2016, v. 21, pp. 132-150.
14. Social Capital and the Extreme Poor in Bangladesh (with D. Mallick, and R. Bakshi), Journal of Development Studies, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 1603-1618.
15. Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: A Real Relationship or Wishful Thinking? (with S. Iamsiraroj), Economic Modelling, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 200-2013.
16. Persistence, Capital Account Openness and Financial Sector Performance in Exchange Rate Dynamics (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), Economic Record, September 2015, v. 91, pp. 279-299.
17. What Underlies Weak States? The Role of Terrain Ruggedness (with P. Jimenez-Ayora), European Journal of Political Economy, Sept. 2015, v. 39, pp. 167-183.
18. Non-farm Activity, Household Expenditure, and Poverty Reduction in Rural Vietnam: 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), World Development, December 2014, v. 64, pp. 554-568.
19. An Empirical Inquiry into the Role of Sectoral Diversification in Exchange Rate Regime Choice (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), European Economic Review, April 2014, v. 67, pp. 210-227.
20. State-Owned Enterprises, Political Ideology, and Inequality, (with C. Karayalcin and V. Avsar). Economics and Politics, November 2013, v. 25, n.3, pp. 387-410.
21. Does Legal Heritage Affect Obesity? The Channel of Motor Vehicle Dependence (with P. Carlin and M. Kidd). Journal of Comparative Economics, May 2013, v. 41: 621-33.
22. Intersectoral Size Differences and Migration: Kuznets Revisited (with N. Anbarci). Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, April 2011, v.20, n. 2, pp. 251-292.
23. Leviathan Resists: The Endogenous Relationship between Privatization and Firm Performance (with P. Arin). Public Choice, July 2009, v. 140, n. 1‐2, pp. 185‐204.
24. Internationalization and Alliance Formation: Evidence from Turkish SMEs (with M. Akdis and S. Bayrak-Kok). International Small Business Journal, June 2009, v. 27. n.3, pp. 337-361.
25. Democracy and Economic Growth: A Meta-Analysis (with C. Doucouliagos), American Journal of Political Science, January 2008, v. 52, pp. 60-82.
26. International Comparisons of Rural-Urban Educational Attainment: Data and Determinants (with B. Cardak), European Economic Review, October 2007, v. 51, n.7, pp. 1828-1857.
27. Institutions and Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction: The Role of Private Sector Development, (with D. Mitra and R. Hasan). Asian Development Review, 2007, v. 24, n.1, pp. 69-116.
28. Economic Freedom and Economic Growth: Does Specification Make a Difference? (with C. Doucouliagos), European Journal of Political Economy, March 2006, vol. 22, n.1, pp. 60-81.
29. Can we Obtain Realistic Parameter Estimates for the Protection for Sale Model? (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), Canadian Journal of Economics, February 2006, vol. 39, n. 1, pp. 187-210.
30. Zipf`s Law Strikes Again: The Case of Tourism (with B. Hazari), Journal of Economic Geography, August 2004, vol. 4, n.4. pp. 459-472.
31. Protection versus Promotion: An Empirical Investigation (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), Economics and Politics, July 2004, vol. 16, n.2, pp. 147-162.
32. Globalisation and Inequality, Australian Economic Review, March 2004, vol. 37, 116-22.
33. Protection for Sale in A Developing Country: Democracy vs. Dictatorship (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), August 2002, Review of Economics and Statistics, 84(3), pp. 497-508.
34. The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Import Demand (with D. Thomakos), Journal of Economic and Social Research, 2002, vol. 4:1, pp. 1-26.