- 2016 –date: Professor of Economics, Deakin University, Melbourne Australia.
- 2002 – 2015: Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor in Economics, Deakin University, Melbourne Australia.
- 2010 – 2011: Associate Head of School (Research), School of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2008 – 2009: Economics Discipline Leader, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 1997 – 2001: Teaching Assistant/Preceptor, Department of Economics, Florida International University, Florida, USA
- 2001, Ph.D. Florida International University
- 1999, M.A. Florida International University
- 1997, B.Sc. Middle East Technical University
Economic Development, Political Economy, Public Choice, International Trade Policy
Economics of Natural Disasters in Australia and Asia
REFEREED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- The Political Economy of Land Reform Enactments: New Cross-National Evidence (1900-2010) (with P. Bhattacharya and D. Mitra), Journal of Development Economics, forthcoming.
- The Effects of Farm Subsidies on Farm Exports in the United States (with L.A. Tong and C.S. Pham), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, forthcoming.
- Institutions for Private Sector Development and Pro-Poor Growth: Evidence from Vietnam (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Economics of Transition, forthcoming.
- Floods, Bushfires and Sectoral Economic Output in Australia: 1978-2014 (with M.H. Rahman, Y. Onder, Y. Chen, and A. Rajabifard), Economic Record, In press.
- Social capital as a coping mechanism for seasonal deprivation: The case of the Monga in Bangladesh (with R. Bakshi and D. Mallick), Empirical Economics, In press.
- The Shocking Origins of Political Transitions? Evidence from Earthquakes (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Southern Economic Journal, January 2017, v. 83, pp. 796-823.
- Can Extreme Rainfall Trigger Democratic Change? The Role of Flood-Induced Corruption (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Public Choice, March 2017, v. 171, pp. 331-358.
- The Role of Middle Class in Economic Development: What Do Cross-Country Data Show? (with N. Chun, R. Hasan, and M.H. Rahman), Review of Development Economics, May 2017, v.21, pp. 404-424.
- The Role of Endowments, Technology and Size in International Trade: New Evidence from Product-Level Data (with C.S. Pham), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, October 2016, v.25, pp. 913-937.
- Exchange Rate Regimes and Fiscal Discipline: The Role of Trade Openness (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), International Review of Economics and Finance, September 2016, v.45, pp. 106-128.
- Food Demand Elasticities for Australia (with D. Mallick, M. Wadud, P. Hone and H. Haszler), Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, April 2016, v. 60, pp. 177-195.
- The Role of Middle Class in Democratic Diffusion (with N. Chun, R. Hasan, and M.H. Rahman), International Review of Economics and Finance, March 2016, v.42, pp. 536-548.
- The Role of Rice in Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, January 2016, v. 21, pp. 132-150.
- Social Capital and the Extreme Poor in Bangladesh (with D. Mallick, and R. Bakshi), Journal of Development Studies, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 1603-1618.
- Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: A Real Relationship or Wishful Thinking? (with S. Iamsiraroj), Economic Modelling, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 200-2013.
- Persistence, Capital Account Openness and Financial Sector Performance in Exchange Rate Dynamics (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), Economic Record, September 2015, v. 91, pp. 279-299.
- What Underlies Weak States? The Role of Terrain Ruggedness (with P. Jimenez-Ayora), European Journal of Political Economy, September 2015, v. 39, pp. 167-183.
- Non-farm Activity, Household Expenditure, and Poverty Reduction in Rural Vietnam: 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), World Development, December 2014, v. 64, pp. 554-568.
- An Empirical Inquiry into the Role of Sectoral Diversification in Exchange Rate Regime Choice (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D.Mallick), European Economic Review, April 2014, v. 67, pp. 210-227.
- State-Owned Enterprises, Political Ideology, and Inequality, (with C. Karayalcin and V. Avsar). Economics and Politics, November 2013, v. 25, n.3, pp. 387-410.
- Does Legal Heritage Affect Obesity? The Channel of Motor Vehicle Dependence (with P. Carlin and M. Kidd). Journal of Comparative Economics, May 2013, v. 41: 621-33.
- Intersectoral Size Differences and Migration: Kuznets Revisited (with N. Anbarci). Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, April 2011, v.20, n. 2, pp. 251-292.
- Leviathan Resists: The Endogenous Relationship between Privatization and Firm Performance (with P. Arin). Public Choice, July 2009, v. 140, n. 1‐2, pp. 185‐204.
- Internationalization and Alliance Formation: Evidence from Turkish SMEs (with M. Akdis and S. Bayrak-Kok). International Small Business Journal, June 2009, v. 27. n.3, pp. 337-361.
- Democracy and Economic Growth: A Meta Analysis, (with C. Doucouliagos). American Journal of Political Science, January 2008, v. 52, pp. 60-82.
- International Comparisons of Rural-Urban Educational Attainment: Data and Determinants (with B. Cardak), European Economic Review, October 2007, v. 51, n.7, pp. 1828-1857.
- Institutions and Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction: The Role of Private Sector Development, (with D. Mitra and R. Hasan). Asian Development Review, 2007, v. 24, n.1, pp. 69-116.
- Economic Freedom and Economic Growth: Does Specification Make a Difference? (with C. Doucouliagos), European Journal of Political Economy, March 2006, vol. 22, n.1, pp. 60-81.
- Can we Obtain Realistic Parameter Estimates for the Protection for Sale Model? (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), Canadian Journal of Economics, February 2006, vol. 39, n. 1, pp. 187-210.
- Zipf`s Law Strikes Again: The Case of Tourism (with B. Hazari), Journal of Economic Geography, August 2004, vol. 4, n.4. pp. 459-472.
- Protection versus Promotion: An Empirical Investigation (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), Economics and Politics, July 2004, vol. 16, n.2, pp. 147-162.
- Globalisation and Inequality, Australian Economic Review, March 2004, vol. 37, 116-22.
- Protection for Sale In A Developing Country: Democracy vs. Dictatorship (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), August 2002, Review of Economics and Statistics, 84(3), pp. 497-508.
- The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Import Demand (with D. Thomakos), Journal of Economic and Social Research, 2002, vol. 4:1, pp. 1-26.
35. Economic Growth: Measurement (with M.H. Rahman), In: James D. Wright (editor-in-chief), International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition, 2015, Vol 7. Oxford: Elsevier. pp. 45-50.
36. The Political-Economy of Development in a Globalizing World, An Introduction to Special Issue (with D. Mitra), International Review of Economics and Finance, March 2016, v.42, pp. 459-461.
37. Protection for Sale and Political Regimes: Empirical Evidence (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), International Advances in Economic Research, May 2001, 7(2), p.270
- Associate Editor: Economics and Politics, Wiley.
- Editorial Board Member: The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development Taylor & Francis Group.
- Guest Co-Editor for the Special Issue on The Political-Economy of Development in a Globalizing World. International Review of Economics and Finance (with D. Mitra), vol. 42, March 2016.
WORK IN PROGRESS
1-Romes Without Empires: Urban Concentration, Political Competition, and Economic Growth (with C. Karayalcin).
2-Pork and Turkey: Distributive Politics in the Allocation of Public Investments into Turkish Electorates 1987-2004 (with S. Yarasir)
- Optimising Post-Disaster Recovery Interventions in Australia, $560,000, 2017-2020. The Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, Australian Government, Canberra, Australia.
- Pre-Disaster Multi-Hazard Damage and Economic Loss Estimation Model (joint with Abbas Rajabifard, University of Melbourne), $525,000, 2014-2016. The Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, Australian Government, Canberra, Australia.
- Developing Climate Inclusive Potential Loss and Damage Assessment Methodology for Flood Hazards, $25,500 (with C. Guven), 2015-2016, Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Integrating Natural Disasters in Economic Modelling: Phase II, $9,000. 2012-2013. Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Integrating Natural Disasters in Economic Modelling: Phase I, $9,000. 2010-2011. Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Australian Domestic Demand Elasticities for Rural Marketing and Policy Analysis (with D. Mallick, M. Wadud, P. Hone and H. Haszler), $70,000. 2007-2010. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, Australian Government, Canberra, Australia.
Media Appearances & Awards
2011: ABC Wide Bay (QLD) and Radio 3gv (Traralgon) on food demand behaviour in Australia.
2009: Herald Sun and Leader Community Newspapers on the unemployment effects of global financial crisis.