- 2019 –date: Head, Department of Economics, Deakin University, Melbourne Australia.
- 2016 –date: Professor of Economics, Deakin University, Melbourne Australia.
- 2002 – 2015: Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor in Economics, Deakin University, Melbourne Australia.
- 2010 – 2011: Associate Head of School (Research), School of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2008 – 2009: Economics Discipline Leader, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 1997 – 2001: Teaching Assistant/Preceptor, Department of Economics, Florida International University, Florida, USA
- 2001, Ph.D. Florida International University
- 1999, M.A. Florida International University
- 1997, B.Sc. Middle East Technical University
Economic Development, Political Economy, Public Choice, International Trade Policy
Economics of Natural Disasters in Australia and Asia
REFEREED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
1. The Political Economy of Land Reform Enactments: New Cross-National Evidence (1900-2010) (with P. Bhattacharya and D. Mitra), Journal of Development Economics, June 2019, v. 139, pp. 50-68.
2. The Effects of Farm Subsidies on Farm Exports in the United States (with L.A. Tong and C.S. Pham), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, July 2019, v. 101, pp. 1277-1304.
3. Institutions for Private Sector Development and Pro-Poor Growth: Evidence from Vietnam (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Economics of Transition and Institutional Change, July 2019, v. 27, pp. 699-728.
4. Floods, Bushfires and Sectoral Economic Output in Australia: 1978-2014 (with M.H. Rahman, Y. Onder, Y. Chen, and A. Rajabifard), Economic Record, March 2019, v. 95, pp. 58-80.
5. Social capital as a coping mechanism for seasonal deprivation: The case of the Monga in Bangladesh (with R. Bakshi and D. Mallick), Empirical Economics, July 2019, v. 57, pp. 239-262.
6. The Role of Middle Class in Economic Development: What Do Cross-Country Data Show? (with N. Chun, R. Hasan, and M.H. Rahman), Review of Development Economics, May 2017, v.21, pp. 404-424.
7. Can Extreme Rainfall Trigger Democratic Change? The Role of Flood-Induced Corruption (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Public Choice, March 2017, v. 171, pp. 331-358.
8. The Shocking Origins of Political Transitions? Evidence from Earthquakes (with M.H. Rahman, N. Anbarci, and P. Bhattacharya), Southern Economic Journal, January 2017, v.83, pp. 796-823.
9. The Role of Endowments, Technology and Size in International Trade: New Evidence from Product-Level Data (with C.S. Pham), Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, October 2016, v.25, pp. 913-937.
10. Exchange Rate Regimes and Fiscal Discipline: The Role of Trade Openness (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), International Review of Economics and Finance, September 2016, v.45, pp. 106-128.
11. Food Demand Elasticities for Australia (with D. Mallick, M. Wadud, P. Hone and H. Haszler), Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, April 2016, v. 60, pp. 177-195.
12. The Role of Middle Class in Democratic Diffusion (with N. Chun, R. Hasan, and M.H. Rahman), International Review of Economics and Finance, March 2016, v.42, pp. 536-548.
13. The Role of Rice in Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, January 2016, v. 21, pp. 132-150.
14. Social Capital and the Extreme Poor in Bangladesh (with D. Mallick, and R. Bakshi), Journal of Development Studies, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 1603-1618.
15. Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: A Real Relationship or Wishful Thinking? (with S. Iamsiraroj), Economic Modelling, December 2015, v. 51, pp. 200-2013.
16. Persistence, Capital Account Openness and Financial Sector Performance in Exchange Rate Dynamics (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), Economic Record, September 2015, v. 91, pp. 279-299.
17. What Underlies Weak States? The Role of Terrain Ruggedness (with P. Jimenez-Ayora), European Journal of Political Economy, Sept. 2015, v. 39, pp. 167-183.
18. Non-farm Activity, Household Expenditure, and Poverty Reduction in Rural Vietnam: 2002-2008 (with T.X. Hoang and C.S. Pham), World Development, December 2014, v. 64, pp. 554-568.
19. An Empirical Inquiry into the Role of Sectoral Diversification in Exchange Rate Regime Choice (with M.T. Chowdhury, P. Bhattacharya, and D. Mallick), European Economic Review, April 2014, v. 67, pp. 210-227.
20. State-Owned Enterprises, Political Ideology, and Inequality, (with C. Karayalcin and V. Avsar). Economics and Politics, November 2013, v. 25, n.3, pp. 387-410.
21. Does Legal Heritage Affect Obesity? The Channel of Motor Vehicle Dependence (with P. Carlin and M. Kidd). Journal of Comparative Economics, May 2013, v. 41: 621-33.
22. Intersectoral Size Differences and Migration: Kuznets Revisited (with N. Anbarci). Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, April 2011, v.20, n. 2, pp. 251-292.
23. Leviathan Resists: The Endogenous Relationship between Privatization and Firm Performance (with P. Arin). Public Choice, July 2009, v. 140, n. 1‐2, pp. 185‐204.
24. Internationalization and Alliance Formation: Evidence from Turkish SMEs (with M. Akdis and S. Bayrak-Kok). International Small Business Journal, June 2009, v. 27. n.3, pp. 337-361.
25. Democracy and Economic Growth: A Meta-Analysis (with C. Doucouliagos), American Journal of Political Science, January 2008, v. 52, pp. 60-82.
26. International Comparisons of Rural-Urban Educational Attainment: Data and Determinants (with B. Cardak), European Economic Review, October 2007, v. 51, n.7, pp. 1828-1857.
27. Institutions and Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction: The Role of Private Sector Development, (with D. Mitra and R. Hasan). Asian Development Review, 2007, v. 24, n.1, pp. 69-116.
28. Economic Freedom and Economic Growth: Does Specification Make a Difference? (with C. Doucouliagos), European Journal of Political Economy, March 2006, vol. 22, n.1, pp. 60-81.
29. Can we Obtain Realistic Parameter Estimates for the Protection for Sale Model? (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), Canadian Journal of Economics, February 2006, vol. 39, n. 1, pp. 187-210.
30. Zipf`s Law Strikes Again: The Case of Tourism (with B. Hazari), Journal of Economic Geography, August 2004, vol. 4, n.4. pp. 459-472.
31. Protection versus Promotion: An Empirical Investigation (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), Economics and Politics, July 2004, vol. 16, n.2, pp. 147-162.
32. Globalisation and Inequality, Australian Economic Review, March 2004, vol. 37, 116-22.
33. Protection for Sale in A Developing Country: Democracy vs. Dictatorship (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), August 2002, Review of Economics and Statistics, 84(3), pp. 497-508.
34. The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Import Demand (with D. Thomakos), Journal of Economic and Social Research, 2002, vol. 4:1, pp. 1-26.
35. Economic Growth: Measurement (with M.H. Rahman), In: James D. Wright (editor-in-chief), International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition, 2015, Vol 7. Oxford: Elsevier. pp. 45-50.
36. The Political-Economy of Development in a Globalizing World, An Introduction to Special Issue (with D. Mitra), International Review of Economics and Finance, March 2016, v.42, pp. 459-461.
37. Protection for Sale and Political Regimes: Empirical Evidence (with D. Mitra and D. Thomakos), International Advances in Economic Research, May 2001, 7(2), p.270
- Associate Editor: Economics and Politics, Wiley.
- Editorial Board Member: The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development Taylor & Francis Group.
- Guest Co-Editor for the Special Issue on The Political-Economy of Development in a Globalizing World. International Review of Economics and Finance (with D. Mitra), vol. 42, March 2016.
WORK IN PROGRESS
1-Romes Without Empires: Urban Concentration, Political Competition, and Economic Growth (with C. Karayalcin).
2-Pork and Turkey: Distributive Politics in the Allocation of Public Investments into Turkish Electorates 1987-2004 (with S. Yarasir)
- Optimising Post-Disaster Recovery Interventions in Australia, $619,585, 2017-2020. The Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, Australian Government, Canberra, Australia.
- Pre-Disaster Multi-Hazard Damage and Economic Loss Estimation Model (joint with Abbas Rajabifard, University of Melbourne), $525,000, 2014-2016. The Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, Australian Government, Canberra, Australia.
- Developing Climate Inclusive Potential Loss and Damage Assessment Methodology for Flood Hazards, $25,500 (with C. Guven), 2015-2016, Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Integrating Natural Disasters in Economic Modelling: Phase II, $9,000. 2012-2013. Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Integrating Natural Disasters in Economic Modelling: Phase I, $9,000. 2010-2011. Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Australian Domestic Demand Elasticities for Rural Marketing and Policy Analysis (with D. Mallick, M. Wadud, P. Hone and H. Haszler), $70,000. 2007-2010. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, Australian Government, Canberra, Australia.
Media Appearances & Awards
2015: Radio National (Canberra), 4BC (Brisbane), 666 ABC (Canberra) and River FM (Ipswhich), on the effects of the Gallipoli Campaign on Turkish Natives.
2011: ABC Wide Bay (QLD) and Radio 3gv (Traralgon) on food demand behaviour in Australia.
2009: Herald Sun and Leader Community Newspapers on the unemployment effects of global financial crisis.